Friday, August 21, 2009

Uncle Guy

Yesterday my Uncle Guy passed away. He was 86 years old and had a very full life.

Guy was my ideal of the perfect Uncle. So for myself and others who may aspire to be a good Uncle, I thought I would say why Guy was a perfect Uncle.

Guy accepted me for what I was. He never imposed his desires or expectations. Parents can't do this, but Uncles can.

Guy was always there to take me on a little more of an adventure than would have been appropriate for a parent. I remember him giving me sips of his beer at my Grandmother's house when I was only 3 or 4 years old. The excitement of the forbidden fruit with the safety of trusted and loving family.

Guy never contradicted my parents, but sometimes this may have been because there were things my parents had not been asked clearly enough to create any possible contradiction.

When I became an adult and lived for two years with Guy's Mother and my beloved Grandmother Mimi, Guy would frequently spend several nights at a time with us at her house. This common bond and common experience allowed us to move beyond the relationship of my childhood to one of adult friends.

Guy had several difficult challenges with personal loss in his life. When I found myself facing this possibility, Guy was there to talk to in conversations I could not have with anyone else.

Guy gave me stories I will tell again and again for the rest of my life.

Guy also taught me that tickets to sporting events were most valuable and enjoyable when shared with or given to others. And that no matter what, these were never things to be sold. Their value went so far beyond any amount of money you could ever receive.

Guy was not my Father, my Brother or my Child.

He was my Uncle and I found him to be perfect in that.

I loved him and he will be forever Uncle Guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My condolences to you for the loss of your loved one.
Chris Beeler